Identifying "Writing" connections in status stub

Vlad K. nginx-ml at acheronmedia.hr
Wed Jul 26 16:05:28 UTC 2017

On 2017-07-26 13:36, Peter Booth wrote:
> Vlad,
>
> I'd suggest beginning by seeing whether or not this is real. If you
> create a cron job that invokes netstat -ant every hour, then summarize
> the connections and either view them manually or write them into an
> influxdb and graph with grafana you will see whether or not the #tcp
> connections really is growing and, if so, which connections are
> growing.

Thanks for the suggestion, but with it slow progression and low
signal-to-noise ration in comparison with the daily and weekly
connection cycle, I'm not sure it would be practically possible to
measure it like that. But your suggestion gave me another idea, to
record IPs of established tcp conns every 5 minutes and then see which
ones remain constant.

But are you suggesting that nginx status is reporting wrong/fake
numbers? What do you mean by "real"?

And what about connections that are staying in "CLOSED" state until I
restart or reload nginx?

--
Vlad K.