Reverse Proxy with 500k connections

Tolga Ceylan tolga.ceylan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 22:10:24 UTC 2017

How about using

    split_clients "${remote_addr}AAA" $proxy_ip {
                   10%               192.168.1.10;
                   10%               192.168.1.11;
                   *                     192.168.1.19;
    }

    proxy_bind $proxy_ip;

where $proxy_ip is populated via split clients module to spread the
traffic to 10 internal IPs.

or add 10 new listener ports (or ips) to your backend server instead,
(and perhaps use least connected load balancing) in upstream {} set of
10 backends. eg:

upstream backend {
  least_conn;
  server 192.168.1.21:443;