blank page cached ONLY for homepage URL on Wordpress when using keyword monitoring

seth2958 nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org
Mon May 8 23:17:46 UTC 2017

Thank you for the insights Francis!!

It's too early to tell, but I think moving the "if" statement outside the
location block may have done the trick. I also changed the the statement so
that only GET requests are cached like so:

if ($request_method != GET) {
                set $skip_cache 1;
        }

I haven't pinpointed the exact cause yet, but initial test results are
promising. I set up three times as many keyword monitors and have not seen
an empty cached page yet after deleting the existing cached page and letting
the cached page rebuild. Only the complete page is being cached. Before this
change it was pretty easy for me to break the cache, but now I've been
unable to replicate the problem. My theory is that the monitors are making
some sort of non-GET (but not HEAD) requests which NGINX is for some reason
treating as GET. So hopefully moving the if statement and changing the logic
will be the solution here.

If anyone else is able to confirm the exact issue, I'd still really like to
know.

Oh and another possible effect of these changes...page load time has
decreased by at least 300 milliseconds!

Thanks again!!

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,274097,274103#msg-274103