Trailing Slash Redirect Loop Help

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Fri May 12 21:25:03 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 11:10:36AM -0400, Alex Med wrote:

Hi there,

> Yes, I am realizing that is a nightmare going against the trailing-slashed
> directory nature.  So I am going to have this rule take off slashes from
> anything but directories.  Do you have any suggestions as how to do it, but
> without "if"

There's a few possibly-useful questions to consider:

Why do you want to do this?

As in: what is the problem that you want to solve? Possibly there is a
better approach than this.

Also: given that you want to do this, why do you want to do this without
"if"?

Sometimes "if" is the correct tool to use.

And: what's a file and what's a directory? Your initial config
example used proxy_pass, which refers to remote urls, not files
or directories. *This* nginx does not know whether an upstream url
corresponds to a file or to something else. So that may want to be
considered before designing the solution.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org