Auto refresh for expired content?

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue May 16 17:18:41 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 12:47:57PM -0400, mkuehn wrote:

Hi there,

untested, but:

> Now my question, is it possible that Nginx can "automaticly" get a fresh
> copy from the proxy_pass, when it recognized that the cached request is
> expired - so that none User has to wait about 5 sec to get fresh content and
> gets always fast data from the Nginx cache?

does http://nginx.org/r/proxy_cache_background_update sound like it can
do what you want?

You might be able to achieve most of what you want outside of nginx
by running a "curl" command to fetch the content every few minutes;
the hope being that the curl command will be the one that is waiting
for 5 seconds and causing the local cache copy to be updated, while the
"real" clients are fed from the cache.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org