Nginx PID file missing

shivramg94 nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org
Wed May 24 12:43:20 UTC 2017

Hi,

In our environments we are intermittently facing an issue where the
nginx.pid file goes missing, due to which whenever we try to do a reload of
nginx, it fails saying "no pid file exists". Is there any known scenarios
due to which the nginx.pid file goes missing?

Does the nginx reload has any effect on the pid file? Ideally it should not,
isn't ?

Also, what we have noticed is, sometimes whenever we tried to do a restart
of nginx, i.e quit nginx and then start it again, at times, the nginx master
and worker processes start but there is no pidfile written by nginx at the
expected location?

Could anyone help on this issue?

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,274425,274425#msg-274425