Page loading is very slow with ngx_http_auth_pam_module

Cumali Ceylan cumali.ceylan at gmail.com
Mon May 29 07:36:29 UTC 2017

I was debugging nginx with pam configuration for a while. I built libpam
with debug option and investigated logs of it in order to find out
overhead of it. My system is an embedded Linux system with NXP/Freescale
Vybrid VF6x processor. if a http request takes a 100-200 ms from the
browser side without authentication, when i enable the pam with
pam_unix.so, it takes 1500-1700ms from the browser side. This slow
working doesn't seem a classical fail delay problem that is well
explained in so many forums.

PAM module of the nginx is sequentially calling pam_start,
pam_authenticate, pam_acct_mgmt and pam_end functions. The pam_start
function is doing the same configuration jobs at each http request and
it causing some overhead. I tried to patch module and called pam_start
for once during first http request and set user name and password with
pam_set_item function but it doesn't saved enough duration. In addition,
other functions are generating so many logs and doing so many jobs at
each request.

In my opinion, authenticating at each http request and my slow machine
are collectively causing this problem so that I gave up to use this
module with nginx. If you know any other thing and have an idea about
this, you can still write here. I will follow this thread but for now, i
am planning to write a nginx module in order to provide basic pam
functionality.

Kind regards,

Cumali Ceylan

>>> http://facebook.com/cj.wijtmans