Moving SSL termination to the edge increased the instance of 502 errors

Michael Ottoson michael.ottoson at cri.com
Wed Nov 29 13:05:17 UTC 2017

Thanks, Maxim.

That makes a lot of sense.  However, the problem started at exactly the same time we moved SSL termination.  There were no changes to the application.  It is unlikely to be a mere coincidence - but it could be.

We were previously using HAPROXY for load balancing (well, the company we inherited this from did) and the same happened when they tried moving SSL termination.

There is a reply to my question on serverfault, suggesting increasing keepalives (https://www.nginx.com/blog/load-balancing-with-nginx-plus-part2/#keepalive).  This is because moving SSL increases the number of TCP connects.  I'll give that a try and report back.