Resolver not working as expected

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Mon Aug 27 13:30:03 UTC 2018

Hello!

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 06:56:01PM +0530, Sharan J wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sample conf:
>
>     http{
>     resolver x.x.x.x;
>     server {
>     server_name _;
>     location / {
>     proxy_pass http://somedomain.com;
>     }
>     }
>
> I have nameservers configured in my resolv.conf. But, somedomain.com will
> be configured in x.x.x.x DNS server only. So, I have specified resolver in
> my nginx.conf. However, during startup/reload I get "host not found in
> upstream error". Why nginx is not considering resolver conf and searches
> only in the nameservers configured in resolv.conf?

Names as written in the configuration are resolved while parsing
the configuration using the system resolver.  DNS servers defined
by the "resolver" directive are only used for dynamic / run-time
name resolution - for example, when variables are used in the
"proxy_pass" directive.

http://mdounin.ru/