Invalid character found in the request target on Confluence behind nginx

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Mon Dec 10 23:10:16 UTC 2018

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 06:43:13AM +0000, Dung Tran Tien wrote:

Hi there,

> Currently I'm using Confluene 6.10.2 behind nginx. I have some pages with the page name including character '>' could not accessible, the error is:

> But when I access the page bypassing the reverse proxy, it's ok, so it could be a problem in nginx.

It sounds like the request from the client includes a correctly-encoded
string %3E, while the request from nginx includes the decoded character >.

Can you show the location{} block in nginx that handles this
request? Perhaps there is something there that caused the decoding,
that can be changed.

Possibly you can use something like "tcpdump" to see the actual requests,
if the logs do not show the details.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org