Disable proxy buffering for websockets

Chad Phillips thehunmonkgroup at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 22:45:56 UTC 2018

I use software that runs a speed test via websockets. When proxying this
websocket connection through Nginx, the 'download' portion of the test is
inaccurate.

My theory is that this is due to Nginx buffering the response from the
backend server, thus the timer on the backend server reports an inaccurate
value compared to when it's not proxied.

I've tried the following settings at both the location and server levels of
my configuration:

    proxy_buffering off;
    proxy_ignore_headers X-Accel-Buffering;

However, this doesn't fix the problem. I've confirmed the functionality
works correctly when it's not being proxied via Nginx, so wondering if A)
there is some other cause of the issue besides the proxy buffer, or B) I'm
not using the proxy buffer settings correctly?