fsync()-in webdav PUT

Peter Booth peter_booth at me.com
Wed Feb 28 22:33:54 UTC 2018

This discussion is interesting, educational, and thought provoking.  Web architects
only learn “the right way” by first doing things “the wrong way” and seeing what happens.
Attila and Valery asked questions that sound logical, and I think there's value in exploring
what would happen if their suggestions were implemented.

First caveat - nginx is deployed in all manner different scenarios on different hardware
and operating systems. Physical servers and VMs behave very differently, as do local
and remote storage. When an application writes to NFS mounted storage there's no guarantee
that even and synch will correctly enforce a write barrier. Still, if we consider  real numbers:

On current model quad socket hosts, nginx can support well over 1 million requests per second (see TechEmpower benchmarks)
On the same hardware, a web app that writes to a Postgresql DB can do at least a few thousand writes per second.
A SATA drive might support  300 write IOPS, whilst an SSD will support 100x that.
What this means that doing fully synchronous writes can reduce your potential throughput
by a factor of 100 or more. So it’s not a great way to ensure consistency.

But there are cheaper ways to achieve the same consistency and reliability characteristics:

If you are using Linux then your reads and write swill occur through the page cache - so the actual disk itself really doesn’t matter (whilst your host is up).
If you want to protect against loss of physical disk then use RAID.
If you want to protect against a random power failure then use drives with battery backed caches, so writes will get persisted when a server restarts after a power failure
If you want to protect against a crazy person hitting your server with an axe then write to two servers ...
But the bottom line is separation of concerns. Nginx should not use fsync because it isn’t nginx's business.

My two cents,

Peter