Allow the usen of the "env" directive in contexts other than "main"

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Jan 4 17:06:15 UTC 2018

Hello!

On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 01:22:15AM +0000, German Jaber wrote:

> Is there a reason why the "env" directive is only allowed inside the "main"
> contexts?

The "env" directive controls which environment variables will be
available in the nginx worker processes.  Environment variables
apply to the whole worker process, and are not differentiated based on
what the worker process is doing in the particular time.  As such,
these directives are to be specified at the global level.

> It would simplify many of my Docker deployments if I could do away with sed
> and envsubst and use the "env" directive directly.
>
> If the maintainers approve the inclusion of this feature in Nginx, I would
> like to offer my time to this project by implementing this functionality.

Sorry, from your description it is not clear what you are trying
to do and how the "env" directive can help here.  You may want to
elaborate on this.

http://mdounin.ru/