Redirect without and SSL certificate

Friscia, Michael michael.friscia at yale.edu
Wed Jul 18 15:10:54 UTC 2018

We have a problem where we have a large number of vanity domain names that are redirected. For example we have surgery.yale.edu which redirects to medicine.yale.edu/surgery. This works fine until someone tries to request https://surgery.yale.edu. For administrative reasons, I cannot get a wildcard certificate to handle *.yale.edu and make this simple to solve.

My question is if there is any way to redirect a request listening on port 80 and 443 but bypass the SSL certificate warning so it will redirect? I would assume the order of operation with HTTPS is to first validate the certificate but I really want the 301 redirect to take place before the SSL cert is verified.

I’m open to ideas but we are limited in what we can actually do so as it stands the only solution we have is to request a certificate for each of the 600+ domains.

Michael Friscia
Office of Communications
Yale School of Medicine
(203) 737-7932 - office