newbie: nginx rtmp module

Gary lists at lazygranch.com
Fri Mar 9 22:14:44 UTC 2018

I believe you need to compile with the appropriate module. If this was freeBSD, no problem. Just use ports. (Of course FreeBSD has many other problems.) With centos, you will need to compile the code and use all the "with" options for each module you want to install. Potentially you will need to set up systemd to run your version of Nginx. It wouldn't surprise me that this is complicated enough that someone had already done a write up.

Regarding updating to Centos 7, if you are on VPS, you can easily image your Centos 6 installation should you get bogged down in the update. Or you set up a second VPS on a fresh install of centos 7 with a different domain name. That is how a currently do major changes. However I'm thinking I might set up DNS so that www1.example.com go to the experimental server. That would save the cost of owning an additional domain plus make it easier to deal with let'sencrypt.

I found this:

https://github.com/thonatos/notes/blob/master/backend-notes/install-and-conf-nginx-with-rtmp-on-Centos-7-64.md

This isn't up to date, but it is a start. Looking at the Nginx download page, they don't use git for source, but there is a mirror of sorts of the Nginx source on github. It would do that for both the source and module.

But the deal with Centos is you shouldn't be compiling code unless there is no other alternative. That is the idea is you do "yum update" and everything is secure. I don't go so far as to crontab the process, but some do. The point here being maybe there is some other way to rtmp without the module.