ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT when trying to reuse SSL session

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sun Mar 11 23:57:03 UTC 2018

Hello!

On Thu, Mar 08, 2018 at 12:16:50PM +0100, Abilio Marques wrote:

> Using NGINX 1.12.2 on MIPS (haven't tested on x86), if I set:
>
> ssl_session_cache shared:SSL:1m; # it also fails with 10m
>

> And the client reestablishes the connection, it
> gets: net::ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT when trying to reuse SSL session.
>
> Has anyone seen anything like this?
>

> More detail:
>
> This was tested on 1.12.2, on a MIPS CPU, using OpenSSL 1.0.2j, and built
> by gcc 4.8.3 (OpenWrt/Linaro GCC 4.8-2014.04 r47070).

This certainly works on x86, so it must be something
MIPS-specific or something specific to your particular build.

Last time I saw OpenWrt/Linaro nginx builds, they were compiled
using buggy 3rd party crossbuild patches, and didn't work due to
this (see https://trac.nginx.org/nginx/ticket/899).  You may want
to check your build before trying to do anything else.

http://mdounin.ru/