Blank Pages

Friscia, Michael michael.friscia at yale.edu
Tue May 15 14:35:09 UTC 2018

Actually I think that solves my problem and I had not realized that. I just need to remove my error_page declaration from the global file and specify within each server block instead which is probably better anyway.

Thank you!

Michael Friscia
Office of Communications
Yale School of Medicine
(203) 737-7932 - office
(203) 931-5381 - mobile
http://web.yale.edu <http://web.yale.edu/>

On 5/15/18, 10:28 AM, "nginx on behalf of Maxim Dounin" <nginx-bounces at nginx.org on behalf of mdounin at mdounin.ru> wrote:

    Hello!

    On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 12:12:10PM +0000, Friscia, Michael wrote:

    > I’m wondering if there’s a simple way to solve this problem.
    >
    > The upstream application sometimes returns a blank 500 error
    > which Nginx then serves as the blank page. This is working as
    > intended. But what I’d like Nginx to do is display a custom
    > error page if the upstream 500 error is blank, but if the
    > upstream 500 page is not blank, then I want to serve the
    > upstream 500 error page.
    >
    > Has anyone ever come up with a way to handle a case like that?
    >
    > I was thinking of having a custom header in the upstream app and
    > if that header doesn’t exist, then serve a page from Nginx but
    > before I run down that path I thought I’d ask. I cannot use
    > proxy_intercept_errors on; because the upstream app serves
    > customized 404 errors that I would lose.

    Note that you can configure interception of only 500 error page,
    as nginx will only intercept errors you have an explicit
    error_page for.  That is, a configuration like this will only
    intercept 500, but not 404:

        location / {
            proxy_pass https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__backend&d=DwIGaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=wvXEDjvtDPcv7AlldT5UvDx32KXBEM6um_lS023SJrs&m=pfIFbE09KkqBNglA9W4RlzUoYqKDM29rfBSHOg5XOik&s=4WzkIBmsh7_BBUxJIfTui_6hhHKCIVcsW2QWAb14d7w&e=;
            proxy_intercept_errors on;
            error_page 500 /error500.httml;
        }

        location = /error500.html {

    This won't allow to test if the returned upstream error response
    is blank or not, but may be enough for your use case based on the
    above description.

    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__mdounin.ru_&d=DwIGaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=wvXEDjvtDPcv7AlldT5UvDx32KXBEM6um_lS023SJrs&m=pfIFbE09KkqBNglA9W4RlzUoYqKDM29rfBSHOg5XOik&s=pF9q_2kt5MD_J8_OUzGeAckgBQ1reDUDNkn5oiPESK4&e=