SSLEngine closed already exception triggered by reload

nginxuser2018 nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org
Mon Nov 5 14:14:33 UTC 2018

I noticed that if I setup a simple scenario where a client is making
concurrent requests on a server with nginx configured as a reverse proxy and
SSL traffic termination endpoint, if I trigger a reload with 'nginx -s
reload' mid requests,  often times the client will throw an
'javax.net.ssl.SSLException: SSLEngine closed already
at io.netty.handler.ssl.SslHandler.wrap(...)(Unknown Source)' exception.

I'm using Scala with the Play framework, which uses netty under the hood.

Is there any configuration that could avoid these exceptions being thrown?

I cannot reproduce it using for example using Play to serve HTTPS, so I can
possibly rule out a problem in the client and think it is a problem with
nginx?

Thank you.

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,281786,281786#msg-281786