Rewrite request url to match the query string and normalization

Jindan Zhou jindan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 15:58:58 UTC 2018

I have a simple nginx forward proxy, configured as:

server {
     listen                         8000;
     resolver                       8.8.8.8;
     location / {
         proxy_pass http://$host;
         proxy_set_header Host $host;

The client behind its isp firewall sends the request (per nginx log): GET
http://www.clientisp.com/path/rewrite.do?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.example.com
HTTP/1.1

How do I transform the requested url to http://www.example.com before it is
sent to the upstream?

I looked up many posts online, but I am still confused at:

   1. The online examples usually teach how you match the uri part, but my
   goal is to obtain the queried string only, i.e., everything after the
   equation mark"=", http%3A%2F%2Fwww.example.com.
   2. I have no idea how to decode the percentage coded symbols into
   normalized one.

Thanks for your input!

--