Problem when reconfiguring Nginx for SSL with self-signed certificate

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Wed Sep 5 21:37:24 UTC 2018

On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 04:49:19PM -0400, Frank_Mascarell wrote:

Hi there,

> It has also tried the proxy_passs an http, with the same error.

Can you run a command like "curl -v https://15.15.15.15/test", and show
the output that you get?

And if it is curl reporting that it does not like the certificate,
try again with

  curl -k -v https://15.15.15.15/test

And if that shows that things are working, try the same with whatever
url you were using originally, until the problem shows.

> This is like finding a needle in a pocket: stressful and disappointing.

I suspect that the best way through it is to test one thing at a time,
and change one thing between tests.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-django-with-postgres-nginx-and-gunicorn-on-ubuntu-18-04

does have a section called "Nginx Is Displaying a 502 Bad Gateway
Error Instead of the Django Application", which sounds like what you
are reporting.

Its first question seems to be "what does the nginx log say?".

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org