Avoiding Nginx restart when rsyncing cache across machines

Lucas Rolff lucas at lucasrolff.com
Wed Sep 12 20:05:57 UTC 2018

Can I ask, why do you need to start with a warm cache directly? Sure it will lower the requests to the origin, but you could implement a secondary caching layer if you wanted to (using nginx), so you’d have your primary cache in let’s say 10 locations, let's say spread across 3 continents (US, EU, Asia), then you could have a second layer that consist of a smaller amount of locations (1 instance in each continent) - this way you'll warm up faster when you add new servers, and it won't really affect your origin server.

It's a lot more clean also because you're able to use proxy_cache which is really what (in my opinion) you should use when you're building caching proxies.

Generally I'd just slowly warm up new servers prior to putting them into production, get a list of top X files accessed, and loop over them to pull them in as a normal http request.

There's plenty of decent solutions (some more complex than others), but there should really never be a reason to having to sync your cache across machines - even for new servers.