Nginx compile with OpenSSL 1.1.1 and DESTDIR=

Sergey Kandaurov pluknet at nginx.com
Wed Sep 19 10:54:12 UTC 2018

> On 19 Sep 2018, at 05:41, Anoop Alias <anoopalias01 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> ./configure --prefix=/etc/nginx --sbin-path=/usr/sbin/nginx  --with-openssl=./openssl-1.1.1
> make DESTDIR=/opt/test install
>
> Did not create the .openssl directory inside the openssl source , but instead, this created the .openssl directory in the DESTDIR

As expected.

> I found out that if we use an explicit make command
> ./configure --prefix=/etc/nginx --sbin-path=/usr/sbin/nginx  --with-openssl=./openssl-1.1.1
> make
> make DESTDIR=/opt/test install
>
> This works

And this is expected too.
Just use a separate ``make'' command to not mix
nginx's DESTDIR and openssl's DESTDIR means.

> But the former command without the explicit make used to work on openssl 1.0.xx releases
>
> Starting from OpenSSL 1.1.0, it is used there as install prefix.  ==> This may be an after effect of this

As previously noted.  You can also find this note in CHANGES:
  *) The INSTALL_PREFIX Makefile variable has been renamed to
     DESTDIR.  That makes for less confusion on what this variable
     is for.  Also, the configuration option --install_prefix is
     removed.
     [Richard Levitte]

--
Sergey Kandaurov