Re: Does compiling nginx with “--with-debug” option reduce performance even when not enabling debug level?

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Thu Aug 1 17:12:40 UTC 2019

On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 09:44:20AM -0400, abkulkar wrote:

Hi there,

> I want to build nginx with the debug options and use it in production.
> But the instructions provided here:
> https://nginx.org/en/docs/debugging_log.html do not say if it will have
> performance issues even when I DON'T enable debug level logging.

I think that the answer to every performance / optimisation question is
the same:

if you have not measured a problem, then there is not a problem that
you care about.

The page you link to does not appear to say anything about performance
issues, apart from the line

"""
Logging to the memory buffer on the debug level does not have significant
impact on performance even under high load.
"""

I suspect that the only way for you to know is for you to test. On
your hardware, with your configuration, maybe the theoretical maximum
throughput from nginx will change with debugging compiled in; but if
it still exceeds the practical maximum that you observe, then the change
is probably not important to you.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org