Can we use JWT authentication with Nginx Open source version?

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue Aug 13 13:53:25 UTC 2019

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 01:14:46AM -0400, blason wrote:

Hi there,

> I was referring lot of other articles on internet and seems that jwt
> authentication is only possible with Nginx plus version; wondering if this
> is possible with Nginx Open source version as well?

When I search in Google for "nginx jwt", the first few
results are on nginx.com domains which eventually refer to
http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_auth_jwt_module.html which says
it is in the commercial subscription.

The next few results are on github.com domains; one is a third-party
module which claims to "do" jwt; and another is a Lua script that does
the same in conjunction with the "openresty" distribution of nginx.

Perhaps one of those can be used to do what you want?

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org