try_files doubleslash mystery

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue Aug 20 13:23:31 UTC 2019

On Sun, Aug 18, 2019 at 11:40:59AM +0200, Maik Beckmann via nginx wrote:
> Am Sa., 17. Aug. 2019 um 20:04 Uhr schrieb Francis Daly <francis at daoine.org>:

Hi there,

> What I still don't understand is how the existence of an directory
> results in subrequest/internal redirect.  Is that documented
> somewhere?

The 100% accurate documentation is in the directory "src"; but it may
not be in an easy-to-understand format.

So I'd suggest trying to understand what try_files is intended to do.

(Which is approximately: use this file if it exists. The subtleties will
matter sometimes.)

And what should it mean for the administrator to ask it to "try"
a directory?

I expect it means something like "use this directory as the response
to the request". And "use a directory" is implemented by the filesystem
handler as "make a subrequest for the first element of 'index' that
exists in that directory".

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org