ssl client auth trouble

AJ Weber aweber at comcast.net
Fri Aug 30 14:07:47 UTC 2019

I have been trying to configure client certificates (really just one
cert for now) for two days on CentOS 7, Nginx 1.16.1, and have had very
limited success.

I have tried various online guides and they are mostly the same - but
all have resulted in the same exact scenario.  One such guide is here,
for example: https://gist.github.com/mtigas/952344

(Another is here:
https://www.guyrutenberg.com/2015/09/15/securing-access-using-tlsssl-client-certificates/)

When this is all done, and I import the p12 client certificate on my
Windows PCs (tested 2) Chrome and Firefox show me the "400 Bad Request\n
No required SSL certificate was sent".  The very strange thing is IE11
on one of the two PCs, actually prompts me to use my newly-installed
cert the first time, and it works.  No other browser (including IE on a
different PC) works.

I have exhausted my Google-foo and am frustrated. I don't think this
should be so hard.

Does anyone have any suggestions to troubleshoot this?

Thanks.