Allow internal redirect to URI x, but deny external request for x?

Ian Hobson hobson42 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 19:01:01 UTC 2019

Hi Lewis,

On 30/08/19 18:33, J. Lewis Muir wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm using nginx 1.12.2 on RHEL 7, and I've got a FastCGI web app that
> uses a deployment structure which uses an atomic symlink change for an
> atomic app deploy, and I'm wishing to be able to do an internal redirect
> in nginx to URL x, but deny an external request to the same URL x so
> that I don't serve the same content at more than one URL.  Is there a
> way to do that?

You could place the different versions away from the root so they cannot
be obtained from the web. Then they can be served by setting up a
symlink to the desired version.

This can be changed using "ln -sfn version/dir serving/root" and then
restarting nginx to pick up the new version.

By not using redirects, this method should be more efficient.

Regards

Ian

--
Ian Hobson