proxy_pass in post_action location does not send any http request

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Wed Dec 11 20:46:08 UTC 2019

On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 04:48:23AM -0500, jacks wrote:

Hi there,

since no-one else has answered this yet...

>     What am i doing wrong?

Without me trying to be clever about it: you're asking for help about
post_action.

I think that the post_action directive is only documented in
src/http/ngx_http_request.c, and that is intentional.

If that C-code is not enough to make it totally clear to you what you
can and cannot safely do with post_action, then you should not use
post_action.

(As it happens, that C code is not enough to make it clear to me
what I can and cannot safely do with post_action, and so I do not use
post_action.)

> I am trying to configure NGINX to send another http request after successful
> completion of the original proxied request, in order to count statistics
> etc'

I don't have a good answer that involves post_action.

I would probably post-process the access log file, if I had need to do
that sort of thing.

Or maybe something involving the "mirror" module (if "after successful
completion" was not important here).

You're welcome to wait for a better answer; but given the status of
post_action, I will be (pleasantly) surprised if one is forthcoming.

Cheers,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org