Multiple master processes per reloading

Patrick 201904-nginx at jslf.app
Mon Jul 8 03:32:40 UTC 2019

On 2019-07-07 22:39, allenhe wrote:
> Per my understanding, the reloading would only replace the old workers with
> new ones, while during testing (constantly reloading), I found the output of
> "ps -ef" shows multiple masters and shutting down workers which would fade
> away very quickly, so I guess the master process may undergo the same
> replacement.
> Could some experts help confirm this?

It depends on what exactly is done to "reload" nginx? Different
operating systems will do different things.

In production, you should probably be using some form of commit /
rollback, e.g. something like nginx-graceful[0] which automates the
recommended zero-downtime restart[1].

Patrick
[0] https://github.com/patrickhaller/nginx-graceful
[1] https://www.nginx.com/resources/wiki/start/topics/tutorials/commandline/