deny vs limit_req

Webert de Souza Lima webert.boss at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 07:41:21 UTC 2019

Hi,

I have a few `deny` rules set in global scope, sometimes I add spammers
there to block annoying attacks.

I also have a couple of `limit_req` rules in global scope, and 1 in a local
scope, that is more restrictive and I put it inside a `location` directive.

Last time an attack happened the limit_req was kicking in for this location
but after I put the IP addr on the `deny` rules it didn't do anything.

So my question is: is this a matter of precedence?
The limit_req inside a location would suppress any global deny rules?

Thanks

Regards,

Webert Lima
*Belo Horizonte - Brasil*