Nginx Proxy Buffer

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Sun Mar 3 10:59:34 UTC 2019

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 04:15:53AM -0500, HasanAtizaz wrote:

Hi there,

> I am having some difficultly in understanding the following parameters for
> nginx,
> Scenario (nginx is used for serving static content )

If "static content" is "files from a file system", then proxy_* variables
are not used during the serving of that request.

Those variables only take effect when proxy_pass is used.

> proxy_buffer_size 4k
> proxy_buffers 16 32k
> proxy_busy_buffers_size 64k
> proxy_buffering off
>
> I like to know if i exceed the proxy_buffer_size to lets say 128 and
> proxy_buffers to 4 256 does it affects nginx performance in anyway ?

The answer to every question like this is always "if you do not measure
a difference, there is not an important difference in your use case".

> if proxy_buffering is set to off, does proxy_buffers value in anyway has any
> affect on nginx ?

My reading of http://nginx.org/r/proxy_buffering suggests that
proxy_buffers will not be used for that request.

All the best,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org