Possible memory leak?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Mon Mar 25 12:39:49 UTC 2019

Hello!

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 05:55:23PM -0400, wkbrad wrote:

> Thanks again!  I was a little confused at first because your tests in
> freebsd were so much different than mine but then I found what you did
> wrong.
>
> You were testing the 2nd reload but the issue can only be seen on the first
> reload.  Here is my test to show what I mean.

As can be seen from the pid numbers provided, first ps/top output
in my previous message is from the initial nginx start, and the
reload shown is the first one.

What looks like an important factor is "junk:true" in my
malloc.conf.  Without at least "junk:free" I indeed see similar
results to yours - most likely because kernel fails to free pages
which are referenced from multiple processes when madvise() is
called.

[...]

http://mdounin.ru/