More than one host

Julian Brown julian at jlbprof.com
Sun May 5 20:28:11 UTC 2019

I am having a problem and not sure which side of the ocean it is on (Nginx
or Apache).

I am internally setting up an Nginx reverse proxy that will eventually go
public.

I have two domains I want Nginx to proxy for, both go to different machines.

The second domain is for a bugzilla host, bugzilla.conf:

server {
    server_name bugzilla.example.com;

    listen *:80;

        access_log /var/log/nginx/bugzilla.access.log;
        error_log /var/log/nginx/bugzilla.error.log debug;

    location / {
        proxy_set_header X-Real-IP  $remote_addr;
        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $remote_addr;
        proxy_set_header Host bugzilla.example.com;
        proxy_pass https://INTERNAL_IP <https://internal_ip/>/;

It does send the request to the correct machine, but I do not know if it is
sending the correct hostname or not.

On the machine I am sending to is an Apache instance with multiple
development versions of our server and bugzilla.   The request is getting
handled by what is apparently the default vhost of the Apache server, not
the bugzilla vhost.  In other words the wrong data is being sent out
because it is going to the wrong end point on Apache.

In the log for that vhost on Apache I see:

  1 192.168.1.249 - - [05/May/2019:14:43:28 -0500] "GET /bugzilla/
HTTP/1.0" 200 4250 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64)
AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHT
  2 Execution Time 8579

the dash after 200 4250 is the 'host" I believe it is seeing or defaulting
to "-" and not http://bugzilla.example.com.

In my Nginx config I set proxy_set_header Host to what I want it to send as
bugzilla.example.com, but I am not sure what is getting sent.

Is proxy_set_header Host, the proper way to send it as "bugzilla.example.com"
so that Apache sees it coming on that server name to activate the correct
vhost?

It could be a problem in the Apache vhost config, but if I direct my
browser with /etc/hosts directly at Apache it works correctly it is only
with proxying from Nginx that I see this behavior.

Any comments?

Thanx