split traffic

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Wed May 22 13:33:39 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 03:47:05PM +0300, ender ulusoy wrote:

Hi there,

> Thanks but I got an error. I can not find the required module.
>
> root at Net:~# nginx -t
> nginx: [emerg] unknown directive "split_clients" in /etc/nginx/nginx.conf:598
> nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed

http://nginx.org/r/split_clients says it is from
ngx_http_split_clients_module

> nginx version: nginx/1.14.1
> built by gcc 7.3.0 (Ubuntu 7.3.0-27ubuntu1~18.04)
> built with LibreSSL 2.7.4
> TLS SNI support enabled
> configure arguments: --prefix=/etc/nginx
> --without-http_split_clients_module

which your nginx builder explicitly removed.

It's probably simplest to build the nginx that you want, or to acquire
a nginx that includes the things that you want.

> Any other chance without split module?

Probably not without doing more work than using the module that is
designed to do the thing that you want to do.

Note, though, that by using an external redirect in 10% of requests to
one server_name, you will possibly end up much more than 10% of users
on the other server_name, because a user on that one will possibly stay
on that one. That may not matter in this case.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org