Per IP bandwidth limit

Kostya Velychkovsky velychkovsky at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 18:50:10 UTC 2019

I have big data storage, some clients upload files to it, some download,
some clients might upload a lot of small files in 100-200 parallel
connections, but using only 20-30 mbit/s bandwidth, some clients can put
big files in 10 parallel connections but using - 3Gbit/s bandwidth. The
same situation with download. So, the first situation is normal behavior
and I can't afford to limit connection number per IP, in the second case
it's bandwidth overload, but I can't limit bandwidth per IP, because <a
href="http://nginx.org/ru/docs/http/ngx_http_core_module.html#limit_rate">
limit_rate</a> directive is working per request only. In general case, I
just need to limit bandwidth from 1 IP, independently how many parallel TCP
connections per IP used by client 10 or 100.

пн, 11 нояб. 2019 г. в 20:06, Peter Booth <peter_booth at me.com>:

> Why do you want to do this at all?
> What is the real underlying problem that you are attempting to solve?
>

> On Nov 11, 2019, at 8:29 AM, Kostya Velychkovsky <velychkovsky at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I use Linux, and had a bad experience with Linux shaper (native kernel QoS
> mechanism - tc ), it consumed a lot of CPU and worked unstable. So I
> rejected the idea to keep using it.
>
> пн, 11 нояб. 2019 г. в 15:23, Christos Chatzaras <chris at cretaforce.gr>:
>

>> > On 11 Nov 2019, at 15:09, Kostya Velychkovsky <velychkovsky at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello, is it the correct way to limit download/upload speed per client
>> IP,  at the same time ignore how many connections it opens and request rate
>> produced?
>> >
>> > I need just limit bandwidth for example  100 mbit/s per IP, and no
>> matter it opens 1 connection or 100 simulation connections.
>> >

>> Maybe it's better to do this with firewall. For example in FreeBSD this
>> can be done with IPFW + Dummynet.
>>

> --
> *Best Regards *
>
> *Kostiantyn Velychkovsky *