Are modules built with --with-compat compatible across minor versions of NGINX?

ptcell nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org
Tue Nov 26 21:10:28 UTC 2019

If I build a dynamic module against, say nginx 1.12.2 with `--with-compat`,
will it work with, say nginx 1.12.1 (assuming --with-compat all around)

I assume not, because I found this in ngx_module.c, separate from the
signature check.  nginx_version has the minor version in it.

 if (module->version != nginx_version) {
        ngx_conf_log_error(NGX_LOG_EMERG, cf, 0,
                           "module \"%V\" version %ui instead of %ui",
                           file, module->version, (ngx_uint_t)
nginx_version);
        return NGX_ERROR;
    }