WebDAV and anonymous+authenticated access

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Sun Sep 22 12:42:36 UTC 2019

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 12:39:37PM +0200, Marc wrote:

Hi there,

Untested suggestions...

> Is it possible to setup nginx so that it shares a directory via WebDAV
> which would have read+write access for authenticated users and simple
> read access for non-authenticated/guest/anonymous users ?

Without knowing about the details of WebDAV, I suspect that the simplest
way would probably be to have two urls -- /ro-share and /rw-share --
that share the same directory. Require authentication on "rw"; and not on
"ro"; and let the user choose which they want to access.

> At the moment my WebDAV setup works correctly but only for authenticated
> users. Authentication is always required if I try to browse to
> https://myserver/myshare via a web browser.
>
> How can I solve this ?

There is no concept of "optional http basic authentication" that a
generic browser will work with (I believe), so if you have configured
authentication by http basic auth, then you probably have to use two urls.

There is a concept of "optional ssl client certificates", so if you have
configured authentication by client certificates, then you possibly can use
a shared url, and react differently to "valid cert" and "no valid cert".

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org