SSL and port number [was: Rewrite -- failure]

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Wed Apr 22 07:14:41 UTC 2020

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 07:09:41PM -0400, Paul wrote:

Hi there,

I confess I'm not quite certain what you are reporting here -- if you
can say "with *this* config, I make *this* request and I get *this*
response, but I want *that* response instead", it may be clearer.

However, there is one thing that might be a misunderstanding here:

"listen 8000;" means that nginx will listen for http, so you must make
requests to port 8000 using http not https.

"listen 8001 ssl;" means that nginx will listen for https, so you must
make requests to port 8001 using https not http.

You can have both "listen" directives in the same server{}, but you
still must use the correct protocol on each port, or there will be errors.

Cheers,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org