Compatibility Matrix

Sergey A. Osokin osa at freebsd.org.ru
Thu Apr 30 13:38:50 UTC 2020

Hi Praveen,

hope you're doing well these days.

I don't think I've ever heard about a document like that, however
it's definitely possible to create one.

Usually every new nginx release supports latest versions of all the components
it depends.  Since pcre and zlib releases are in most cases have backward
compatibility with their previous releases, it's possible to build nginx with
ealier or recent versions of those two.

OpenSSL is a bit different in this case cause every major OpenSSL release
brings new features and nginx utilizes OpenSSL functionalities for its needs.

For two recent releases from mainline and stable branches I'd recommend
to use the following versions (1.18.0 and 1.17.10 accordingly) of the
components you've mentioned:

- pcre 8.44
- zlib 1.2.11
- openssl 1.1.1g