Connection timeout on SSL with shared hosting

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Wed Aug 26 09:10:43 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 07:49:07AM -0400, nathanpgibson wrote:

Hi there,

> Turned out there was an INPUT DROP rule in iptables (but not in ip6tables),
> although I am using ufw as a firewall. Now https works and my nginx
> redirects are functioning as expected!

Great that you found and fixed the problem; and thanks for sharing the
answer with the list -- it will probably help the next person with
a similar head-scratching issue!

(I guess you either removed the INPUT DROP rule; or added an explicit
"allow 443" beside the "allow 80" rule that was already there. Whichever
it was, it was "make the local firewall allow the traffic get to nginx".)

Cheers,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org