SSL over UDP - Nginx as reverse proxy

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Sun Jul 5 22:08:02 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jul 03, 2020 at 12:50:09PM -0400, siva.pannier wrote:

Hi there,

> I would like to have SSL Termination on nginx for UDP connections. Can you
> please share the instructions on how to do achieve it?

The documentation for "stream" is at
http://nginx.org/en/docs/stream/ngx_stream_core_module.html

I would expect that the way to do it would be to put both "udp" and
"ssl" in the "listen" directive.

When I do that using one version of nginx, "nginx -t" reports:

[emerg] "listen" directive "ssl" parameter is incompatible with "udp"

That does match what is described at
https://www.nginx.com/blog/ask-nginx-april-2019/

Note that searching the list archives does point to
http://nginx.org/patches/dtls/ and an indication that that experiment
was paused owing to a lack of a use case.

I suspect that if you want to report on how that patch works for you --
being aware that it was written for an older version of nginx, so possibly
will not apply as-is to the current version -- and/or describe your
specific use case, then there may be someone willing to update the patch.

Good luck with it,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org