Reverse proxy to Tomcat 8

Dino Edwards dino.edwards at mydirectmail.net
Sat Jul 18 13:18:22 UTC 2020

Trying to reverse proxy using Nginx to a tomcat 8 application listening on port 8443 but I'm running into an issue where I'm getting status 404 on all static content.

Below is my config file. The /admin location works with no problems. The /ciphermail is the problematic one. I had the exact same problem with static content with the /admin location until I added the following in my server block:

location ~* \.(jpg|jpeg|png|gif|ico|css|js)$

and then it started working. However, the /ciphermail location seems to still not work.

server {
        #LISTEN CONFIG
        listen 80 default_server;
        listen [::]:80 default_server;
        #REDIRECT TO HTTPS UNCOMMENT BELOW TO ENABLE
        #return 301 https://$host$request_uri;
        keepalive_timeout   70;
        #LOGS CONFIG
        access_log /var/log/nginx/access.log;
        error_log /var/log/nginx/error.log warn;
        proxy_max_temp_file_size 5120m;
        client_max_body_size 5120m;
        # Set the .well-known directory alias for initial Lets Encrypt Certificate
        location /.well-known {
        root /var/www/html/;
        }
        root /var/www/html;
        index index.cfm index.html index.htm;

        location ~* \.(jpg|jpeg|png|gif|ico|css|js)$ {
        expires 1y;
        }

location /admin {

  #Set Real IP Headers
  proxy_set_header X-Real-IP  $remote_addr;
  proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $remote_addr;
  proxy_set_header Host $host;
  proxy_redirect     off;
  client_max_body_size       10m;
  client_body_buffer_size    128k;

  proxy_connect_timeout      90;
  proxy_send_timeout         90;
  proxy_read_timeout         90;

  proxy_buffer_size          4k;
  proxy_buffers              4 32k;
  proxy_busy_buffers_size    64k;
  proxy_temp_file_write_size 64k;

  proxy_pass http://localhost:8888/admin/;
}

location /ciphermail {

  #Set Real IP Headers
  proxy_set_header X-Real-IP  $remote_addr;
  proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $remote_addr;
  proxy_set_header Host $host;
  proxy_redirect     off;
  client_max_body_size       10m;
  client_body_buffer_size    128k;