When does NGINX start logging

Roydiggs nginx-forum at forum.nginx.org
Fri Jul 31 21:49:56 UTC 2020

I'm going over some Web Server STIGs (referenced here:
https://www.stigviewer.com/stig/web_server_security_requirements_guide/) to
make sure my NGINX web server is configured to comply with those security
requirements. One of the requirements is that "The web server must initiate
session logging upon start up." So my question is: Are there any NGINX
documentation or resource that shows NGINX starts logging as soon as it's
started before any requests are handled?

I assume that it does by default as each request comes in and is handled
based on configurations made in nginx.conf. To get approval for the use of
NGINX at my workplace, it would be a big help to be able to provide some
sort of proof or resource showing what modules are up and running by the
time requests are being processed. Having a brief window of a module or
logging not ready once requests are being handled would be a vulnerability
concern if an attacker were to flooding requests at start up.

Posted at Nginx Forum: https://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,288932,288932#msg-288932