Build Issue on Ubuntu and Linux following instructions on blog post https://www.nginx.com/blog/video-streaming-for-remote-learning-with-nginx/

j at fuldgroup.com j at fuldgroup.com
Tue Nov 24 21:17:59 UTC 2020

Hi All,

Found an issue within the build of nginx.

Following James' instructions on
https://www.nginx.com/blog/video-streaming-for-remote-learning-with-nginx/ :

mkdir buildnginx

cd buildnginx

sudo git clone https://github.com/arut/nginx-rtmp-module.git

sudo  git clone https://github.com/nginx/nginx.git

cd nginx

sudo  ./auto/configure --add-module=../nginx-rtmp-module

sudo  make

sudo  sudo make install

At the make command:  The following error occurs

-I objs -I src/http -I src/http/modules \

        -o objs/addon/nginx-rtmp-module/ngx_rtmp_eval.o \

        ../nginx-rtmp-module/ngx_rtmp_eval.c

../nginx-rtmp-module/ngx_rtmp_eval.c: In function 'ngx_rtmp_eval':

../nginx-rtmp-module/ngx_rtmp_eval.c:160:17: error: this statement may fall
through [-Werror=implicit-fallthrough=]

  160 |                 switch (c) {

      |                 ^~~~~~

../nginx-rtmp-module/ngx_rtmp_eval.c:170:13: note: here

  170 |             case ESCAPE:

      |             ^~~~

cc1: all warnings being treated as errors

make[1]: *** [objs/Makefile:1339:
objs/addon/nginx-rtmp-module/ngx_rtmp_eval.o] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory '/buildnginx/nginx'

make: *** [Makefile:8: build] Error 2

Reading through the source code ngx_rtmp_eval at line 160 through 170, the
switch statement will most likely fall through, so the build warning call
out is a correct action.

This occurs on both ubuntu and Raspbian versions of Linux.

Having watched James at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js1OlvRNsdI, there
was no problem with his build.

Questions:

1.	How do I resolve?

*       I could try make -k;

*       I remove -Werror flag in the make file (I did not see it in the make
file - could be my eyes, though, so if you know where it is please tell me)

*       Who owns ngx_rtmp_eval, so that I can contact them to fix the source
code?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JF