client disconnects

Frank Liu gfrankliu at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 04:23:08 UTC 2020

Hi,

When a client disconnects (initiated tcp FIN), shouldn't we see 499 in
nginx logs? But sometimes I see 400, along with below in error log:
*2314539 client prematurely closed connection, client: x.x.x.x,

Since I don't see "while reading client request headers" in the error log,
I assume the request is already received (or maybe "body" hasn't arrived
fully yet?) when client disconnects.

When would nginx log 400 instead of 499? The error log ("info" level) is
not clear about why 400, other than "client prematurely closed connection,
".

Thanks!
Frank