configuration test ignores custom resolver

Anton Demenev h33x at softwarecats.dev
Mon Sep 7 05:02:58 UTC 2020

Hi everyone!

Unfortunately, I can't find information about how Nginx tests
configuration files.

In my case I have a two internal DNS zones, .develop and .test.

On global http section I added my resolver:

http {
     resolver 192.168.140.249 valid=300s;
     resolver_timeout 1s;

And I use proxy_pass directive with DNS name likeproxy_pass
http://front-dev.develop;

I expect, that Nginx start to use resolver for upstream name resolving
on test config stage.

But everything go wrong...

On strace output I see, that on start Nginx uses system resolver,
ignoring custom resolver from config.

Can anyone help with this? What I do wrong?

Regards,

Anton.