slow nginx behavior when using as reverse proxy for https

Bhuvan Gupta bhuvangu at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 07:04:15 UTC 2020

*Community,*

Same as asked here also:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/63857630/slow-nginx-behavior-when-using-as-reverse-proxy-for-https

*Setup:*

   1. Dummy SSL endpoint https://hookb.in/VGQ3wdGGzKSE22bwzRdP
   2. Install Nginx on localhost

*Steps:*

   1.

   Hit the hookb.in endpoint using browser for very first time and we get
   network activity like below. It took 865 ms [image: enter image
   description here] <https://i.stack.imgur.com/fXugQ.png>
   Fig 1
   2.

   Subsequent hit to hookb.in endpoint using browser take much less time as
   it is using the same tcp connection, below is the screen shot for ref. (All
   Good!!)
   [image: enter image description here]
   <https://i.stack.imgur.com/GheyZ.png>
   Fig 2
   3.

   setup the http-> https reverse proxy using below nginx config

worker_processes  1;
events {
    worker_connections  1024;
}
http {
keepalive_timeout 65;
    server {
        listen      80;
        server_name  localhost;
        location /session {
            proxy_pass  https://hookb.in/VGQ3wdGGzKSE22bwzRdP;
            proxy_http_version 1.1;
            proxy_set_header Connection "keep-alive";
            proxy_ssl_session_reuse on;
            proxy_socket_keepalive on;

   1. Now from browser hit http://127.0.0.1/session and nginx will work
   fine and proxy the content from https site.
   But nginx response time is always 200ms more than compared to accessing
   https site directly. Screen shot below for ref
   *Why nignx is taking extra time , is it opening new ssl connection every
   time or is there something else?*
   I understand with reverse proxy we are adding extra hop , but 200ms is
   big difference.
   *How can i fix it ?*
   [image: enter image description here]
   <https://i.stack.imgur.com/3mSeA.png>