Difference between Mainline and Stable Nginx version

Thomas Ward teward at thomas-ward.net
Thu Sep 24 14:20:51 UTC 2020

Depending on your needs, I'd favor STable over Mainline.

Stable is just that - the current release of NGINX that is considered
'stable' and doesn't have many new feature changes to it or new things
that Mainline will have.

Mainline is closer to 'cutting edge' than 'stable' NGINX.  While you can
use both for production, unless the features in Stable do not meet your
needs or you need a newly introduced feature only available in Mainline,
I'd suggest you use Stable.

(This applies to all distros, in my opinion, not just RHEL/CentOS.)

Thomas