Re: Nginx configuration to secure Baïkal installation

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue Sep 29 20:11:34 UTC 2020

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 05:23:30AM -0400, Amateur Synologist wrote:

Hi there,

I think your first question was "which file should this go in"?

You may have the answer already -- basically, it is "whichever file your
nginx reads".

If you have a running system, that is "the -c argument to nginx"; falling
back to its compile-time default -- "nginx -V" can help indicate what
that is.

> But their instructions says: "In particular you should really make sure that
> the Specific directory is not accessible directly, as this could contain
> your sql database"
> I've tried to enter path to Specific directory (baikal\Specific\db\) and I
> can access to sql database.

The configuration you showed includes

>  location ~ /(\.ht|Core|Specific) {
>    deny all;
>    return 404;
>  }

and nothing else that would obviously match that request. So if you are
getting a http 200 response, then the config that is being used is not
the config that you showed.

Just to confirm: you are actually accessing something like
http://dav.example.org/baikal/Specific/db, yes?

Can you show the request/response using something like "curl -v"?

Thanks,

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org