Abnormal delays in download

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sun Aug 1 01:32:53 UTC 2021

Hello!

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 10:40:00AM +0200, Pierre Couderc wrote:

> I am trying to download a 12M pdf file and it takes more than 4 minutes
> with http nginx while it takes a few seconds with scp.
>
> I have asked detailed log here https://paste.debian.net/1206029/
>
> I see timeouts but I am not able to interpret them correctly.
>
> nginx is in lxd container in a nearly not used  server (htop load
> average 0.08 ...).
>
> I use nearly defaut debian configuration of nginx.

The logs provided suggest that the client is limiting download
rather than nginx.  Further, the client seems to do at least 17
various range requests to the file which is being downloaded, thus
downloading many more than the file itself, but this is probably
not the issue.  Rather, the issue seems that the client does not
proceed with the file download while doing these requests.

Try disabling Firefox PDF Viewer to see if it helps (Preferences
-> General -> Applications -> Portable Document Format (PDF), set
to "Save File", see [1]).  Alternatively, try using curl (or wget,
or fetch, or whatever you prefer) to download the file instead of
trying to view it in the browser.

[1] https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/view-pdf-files-firefox-or-choose-another-viewer#w_disable-the-built-in-pdf-viewer-and-use-another-viewer

http://mdounin.ru/